Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube Icon Google Plus Icon LinkedIn Icon

What Happens If I’m Injured on Government Property?

Obtaining Compensation After Being Injured on Government Property

When you are injured on someone else’s property, knowing whether you have a right to compensation and who to pursue a claim against can be challenging. It becomes even more complicated if the injury occurred on government property. If you do suffer harm on property owned by a government agency, you need an experienced attorney to help you get the recovery you deserve.

At Freeburn Law, we fight for our clients. We work hard to ensure that injured parties receive the maximum compensation based on the circumstances of their case. We know how to hold government agencies accountable for their negligence or wrongdoing. If you were injured on government property, contact our office at (717) 777-7777 to schedule a free consultation.

Can I Sue a Government Agency If I Am Injured on Their Property?

The majority of the time, when a person is injured on someone else’s property, the property is owned by a private person or a company. However, there are times when a person sustains an injury on property owned by a government agency. 

While the government enjoys a level of immunity under the Pennsylvania Sovereign Immunity Act, they are not entirely protected from liability. Injured parties are generally allowed to pursue damages against a government entity when their harm resulted from the government’s (or its representative’s) negligent act. 

For example, if you are injured in a slip and fall accident on government property, you might be entitled to compensation if a dangerous condition causes your injuries. To determine if you have a valid claim for damages, you need to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Exceptions to Sovereign Immunity

According to the Pennsylvania Statutes, Title 41, Section 8522, there are limits to a government entity’s claim for sovereign immunity.

The government may be held liable for “damages arising out of a negligent act,” including but not limited to:

  • Vehicle liability
  • Medical-professional liability
  • Personal property in the “care, custody, or control” of a Commonwealth agency
  • Dangerous conditions on real estate, highways, and sidewalks of Commonwealth-owned property
  • Potholes, sinkholes, and other dangerous conditions on Commonwealth-maintained property
  • Animal attacks by animals in the “care, custody, or control” of the Commonwealth
  • Dram shop violations
  • Sexual abuse

To obtain compensation, you need to understand your rights. An attorney can help you determine whether you should pursue a claim for damages and who is liable for your injuries.

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?

Unlike a typical personal injury case, you only have six (6) months to file a claim for damages against a government agency in Pennsylvania. The six-month statute of limitations begins from the date of the injury in most cases. 

To file, you must provide the agency or the Attorney General a signed statement that includes the following:

  • The name and address of the person (or entity) who caused the harm
  • The name and address of the person injured
  • The date and time of the accident
  • The location where the accident occurred
  • The name and address of any attending physician

Failure to provide adequate notice to the appropriate agency can result in your claim being denied. 

Do I Need an Attorney?

Because of the complexities of filing a claim against a government agency, it is in your best interest to retain an attorney. You have the right to legal counsel. Exercising that right will help ensure that you receive the largest recovery possible.

Get the Legal Help You Need and Deserve

If you were injured on government property in Pennsylvania, contact our office at (717) 777-7777 to schedule a free, confidential consultation. At Freeburn Law, we have recovered over $100 million for our clients. Call now to get started. Let us fight for you and your family.

At 70yrs. of age, I have never been in a car accident, nor have I ever had a moving violation! So, needless to say, that the trauma of being involved in an accident that I did not cause, where my car, (which was only 6mos. old) was totaled!) and I received 2 broken bones in my left ankle that warrented surgery…was nothing short of devastating! It’s been 9mos. and I’m still healing! But while I was in the ER, the only injury attorney’s name and number that came to my mind was Freeburn and the 7’s! Well, in came Ryan McDaniels, and ever since that initial encounter at my home, I was thoroughly convinced that the Lord had orchestrated it! This young man’s demeanor, personality, and integrity was awesome! He kept me well informed and I trusted him emphatically! Not only him, but everyone in their office, showed me the utmost respect and courtesies! I would, without any reservations, refer anyone who asked me, to this firm! They made for me a wonderful experience from the most devastatingly, traumatic situation I’ve ever had! Definitely 2 thumbs up!