Did You Know there Is 15 Car Crashes Every Hour In Pennsylvania?
Due to the innovations and numerous safety improvements in cars today, there has been a slow decline in car accident fatalities in the US. However, in 2016 the U.S. Department of transportation noted seeing car crashes rising, many of these accidents now being attributed to human decisions and error. Distracted driving is the second leading cause for accidents in Pennsylvania, following the most popular cause, speeding.
According PennDOT’s Crash Facts and Statistics report, in our home state of Pennsylvania there are 15 car crashes every hour. The same report states there are 9 car accident related injuries an hour, and 1 fatality every 7 hours. Accident reports show that during rush hours have the most accidents; the hours of 3-5pm being the most popular and dangerous times to be on the road.
What is distracting our drivers?
- Mobile device use, texting and phone calls
- Looking at and imputing GPS directions and mapping devices
- Distracted driver due to children and other passengers in vehicle
- Taking your eyes off the road for a moment to pick up a fallen item
- Changing music, in an instant a fatal crash can happen
- Taking photos while driving, and not paying attention
- Updating social media apps
- Personal grooming
Your decisions on the road not only affect you, but everyone else on the road with you. It is critical that drivers become more aware of their surroundings and what can distract them while in the car.
- Do not drive if you have had any alcohol or disabling drugs.
- Do not drive if you feel tired- impaired vision and motor skills are factors when you are tired. Make sure you are alert before getting in the car.
- Always buckle up when you are in a car
- Stay off the phone.
- Pay attention to your surroundings- other cars, pedestrians, bikes, weather, road conditions, etc. You are not alone on the road.
- Eliminate any foreseen distractions- secure belongings and finish your text or call before driving.
- Pull over if you need to take your hands of the wheel – whether it is picking up a fallen item, personal grooming tasks, or taking care of a passenger in the vehicle.
- Allow a safe distance between you and the car in front of you. No tailgating!
Pennsylvania is our home so let’s work together to keep our roads as safe as possible. Don’t drink and drive. Don’t text and drive. Don’t speed and always buckle up when in a vehicle as a driver or passenger. Let’s all share the roads responsibly, and this will lead to less accidents, road fatalities and serious injuries.
At Freeburn Law understand the emotional, physical and financial costs associated with being the victim of a serious car accident in Harrisburg. The costs are high for everyone.
If you or a loved one is injured in an accident that was not your fault, call Freeburn Law, the experienced car accident lawyers right away at 717-777-7777. When you call, you will speak with an experienced Lancaster PA car accident lawyer absolutely FREE. We will review every detail of your car accident at no cost to you, and fight hard to seek the maximum compensation that you may deserve.
At Freeburn Law, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and you owe us nothing until we recover for you.
Freeburn Law, Just Call The 7’s – Because The Right Law Firm Makes A Real Difference.