Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube Icon Google Plus Icon LinkedIn Icon

Social Host Law

What is the Social Host Law?

When your kids come home from college, do you allow them to drink in the home? Are you one of those parents who would rather have your kids drinking under your roof than doing who-knows-what under someone else’s? Even if you are not one of these parents, do you know what your kids are doing in the home when you go out for the night? The holidays are a festive time. People are hosting parties all season long, and the hosts are not necessarily over 21 and the adults hosting may be lenient in their home about the drinking age. However, if any of these apply to you, you may be in violation of the Social Host Law.

The Social Host Law in Pennsylvania states that it is against the law to knowingly provide alcohol for people under the age of 21. If you drinksknowingly provide alcohol for someone who is underage, you can be held liable for any injuries they cause to a third party due to them being intoxicated. A first violation carries a minimum $1,000 fine and possibly 6 months in county jail, with each subsequent violation carrying a minimum of $2,500 fine. Even though the law says you are only liable for knowingly serving alcohol, it is safest to lock up your alcohol or make sure your kids are not throwing parties in your house without your knowledge.

In 2012, people under the age of 21 resulted in 8% of the alcohol related car accidents. Although the Social Host Law only applies to serving people who are underage, drunk driving is not an epidemic only touching those under 21. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, holiday weekends typically see an increase in car accidents and deaths across all ages. In 2012, 42% of driving deaths over holiday weekends were the result of drunk driving.

Freeburn Law wants you and your kids to stay safe this holiday season. The holidays are a time for family, friends, and cheer. Don’t ruin the holiday cheer, your life, or someone else’s by being liable for a drunk driving accident. If you or a loved one is injured in an accident where the opposition was drinking, you will need an experienced car accident attorney. The attorneys at Freeburn Law have been representing injured car accident victims since 1982 and have recovered millions. Call the 7’s today, 717-777-7777, or fill out the quick contact form on this page to schedule your FREE consultation.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Truly cannot recommend Freeburn Law enough, especially Attorney Jon Schnarrs! He and his legal assistant, Ashley, were top notch with every step of my case. My questions were always answered promptly. My fears and anxiety were handled with the utmost level of respect and empathy. My workers comp case ending in our favor is just another accolade to add to my praises towards Attorney Schnarrs!