Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube Icon Google Plus Icon LinkedIn Icon

Do I Need Uninsured or Under-Insured Motorist Coverage?

Why UM/UIM Coverage May Prove Critical After an Accident

Despite most states, including Pennsylvania, requiring motorists to have auto insurance, millions of Americans fail to carry even basic coverage. An injured party is left with limited options when a driver without insurance causes a collision. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage can provide compensation in these situations.

At Freeburn Law, we represent people who have been injured in car accidents throughout Pennsylvania. Our team of lawyers will fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve after an accident. We do not give up, having recovered over $100 million for our clients. If you were injured in an auto accident, contact our office at (717) 777-7777 for a free case evaluation.

Uninsured Motorist Statistics

According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), 12.6% of drivers are uninsured. This means that approximately 1 in 8 motorists in the United States are driving without proper insurance. 

In Pennsylvania, an estimated 6% of motorists are uninsured. While this is significantly better than the national average, it still means that there are far too many people driving without insurance. 

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

In order to combat the large numbers of uninsured drivers, insurers offer what is known as uninsured or underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage provides compensation to individuals who are injured or suffer property damage as a result of an uninsured or underinsured motorist. 

Underinsured motorists are those that lack adequate liability coverage to compensate a person for their damages. It also provides coverage if a person is injured in a hit-and-run accident. UM/UIM coverage can prove critical in the event that you are injured in a crash where the at-fault party either doesn’t have insurance or does not have enough insurance. 

Obtaining UM/UIM Coverage in Pennsylvania

While uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is not required in Pennsylvania, it is likely worth the additional expense. You must request to reject uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages in the state. 

Pennsylvania is a no-fault insurance state, meaning that in most cases, drivers must go through their own insurance regardless of fault unless they opt-out by purchasing full tort insurance coverage. 

The state requires drivers to carry minimum Personal Injury Protection (PIP) of $5,000 per person. The required coverage may not be enough after an auto accident with serious injuries. Uninsured motorist coverage can help cover damages that exceed the basic PIP amount. 

Getting the Compensation You Deserve

If you are involved in an auto accident in Pennsylvania, you deserve compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. The team at Freeburn Law can help you obtain the financial recovery you are entitled to after an injury crash. Do not go it alone. Let us fight for you and your family!

Contact our office at (717) 777-7777 for a free case evaluation. Our lawyers have been helping accident victims for decades. We work hard to maximize your settlement so that you can fully recover from your injuries. Do not settle for less. Get the legal solutions you need when you need them most. There are no fees unless we win, so call now to get started. 

Stephen Schneider has been an amazing attorney in my case. It has been a long & stressful journey for me but, He has kept me positive & Focus at all times. His honesty and straight forward demeanor made me trust his knowledge. Attorney Schneider made sure I understood everything step by step as clear as possible. He takes the time and devoted attention to provide you with the best possible information on your case. We can’t forget his assistant Tonya Masser, this young lady is an amazing person, she also makes sure to inform and explain to you if necessary any information given to her by the attorney.