The beginning of a new school year can be an exciting time for all. New school supplies, new teachers, and new memories to be made. While we can be overwhelmed with excitement for our children, it is important not to forget to discuss safety tips with them.
Whether your kids ride the bus, carpool, walk with friends or ride a bike to school, there are important safety tips to keep in mind.
Driving In a School Zone
- In school zones always remember to slow down, look out for school zone signals and always obey the speed limits.
- Never text while driving, pass other vehicles or change lanes in a school zone.
- Always be sure to stop for school buses and watch for children near schools, bus stops, and sidewalks, in the parking lot and around the streets.
Riding Your Bike To School
- When riding your bike make sure to check with your school to make sure your child is allowed to bike.
- Make sure your child is properly dressed and always wears a helmet.
- Remember to follow the rules of the road and try to stay on the right-hand side.
Walking To School
- If you walk to school give yourself extra time to arrive on time.
- Use the same route daily and never wander after school always go straight home.
- Try to walk with a group of students and make sure to always stay on the sidewalks.
- Make sure to only cross streets at designated locations.
- Never talk to strangers. A stranger is someone that you do not know.
Riding The Bus To School
- If you are riding the bus make sure to arrive to the designated bus stop early.
- Never play in the street or wander away from the stop.
- Do not shout or distract the bus driver, always stay seated and keep your head and arms inside the vehicle at all times.
- Never walk behind or in front of a bus.
From all of us at Freeburn Law, we would like to wish every student the best of luck as they embark on a new school year. Our attorneys and staff would also like to remind everyone to stay safe and be responsible when walking, biking or driving to school.
Freeburn Law, Just Call The 7’s – Because The Right Law Firm Makes A Real Difference.